Spiti - Rupshu Valley Trek Over Parang La - 12 days / 11 nights
About The Trek: A 12 days / 11 nights tour with 8 days of high altitude trekking. The tour starts with visiting Spiti valley involving visiting remote valleys, villages and old monasteries. Later we start a high altitude trek which crosses over Parang La ending at Tsomoriri Lake, which is the largest inland water lake of Indian sub continent. After completing the trek we continue further to Ladakh, exploring the various monasteries & other places of interest in & around Leh.
Duration of Trek: 12 days / 11 nights
Best Time: Mid June to Mid Sep
Highest Point: Parang La 5578 mt
Highlight: People, Culture, High Mountain passes, Landscapes, Lake
Physical Challenge: Moderate to Technical
Day Wise Trek Description:
Day 01: Manali - Kaza ( 200 kms / 10 hrs )
A long day journey from Manali to Kaza over the Rohtang Pass (3980 m) and Kunzam Pass (4558 m). On arrival set up camp. Overnight in tents
Day 02: In Kaza
A full day excursion visiting Tabo monastery, Dhankar Monastery and Lalung Monastery. This day also serves as an acclimatization day. Overnight in tents.
Day 03: Kaza - Pin Valley - Kibber
A fullday excursion visiting Pin Valley, Gungri monastery, Ki Monastery & Kibber village (4205 mts). On arrival in Kibber set up of the camps. Rest of the day free to explore the beautiful & one of the highest villages This day also serves as an acclimatization day. Overnight in tents.
Day 04: Kibber - Thalda ( 7 hrs trek )
Kibber is reckoned as one of the highest inhabitant villages in the World. The trail heads north from here, drops steeply to the Parilungbi gorge and over a bridge to climb through cultivated fields through a fantastically carved rocky area leading to Thalda (4875 m) camping site. Overnight in tents.
Day 05: Thalda - Boroghlen ( 7 hrs trek )
The trail descends a sandy track and crosses a moraine to the river gorge. Through the gorge it winds alongto Jugtha camping ground on the river bank. Now it climbs steeply to a place where two glaciated valley’s meet. Take the northly opening and after 1 km cross moraine and go down to camping site at Boroghlen (5180 m). Overnight in tents.
Day 06: Boroghlen - Parangla ( 5578 m ) - Kharsa Gongma ( 8 hrs trek )
Ascend scree and snow with steep sections to the Parangla. Views of Parilungbi (6160 m), Shilla (6111 m) and Gya peak (6794 m). On the north side the descend of 4 kms along the glacier, source of Parechu. Needs care due to hidden crevasses. Work to the right side of it and push on through bolders and scree to the Parechu belt and so reach Karsha Gongam (5150 m) camping site. Overnight in tents.
Day 07: Kharsa Gongma - Thakote ( 5 hrs )
Along this river stretch of about 12 kms you have to ford several side streams which makes for slow progress. Ahead pass many such places such as Dogpo Phirtse, Dotung and Dakarkuru etc. Overnight in tents at Thakote (4900 m).
Day 08: Thakote - Umdung ( 7 hrs trek )
Trail continues on the right side of the Parechu, fords several side inlets and goes up & down a few times to reach Umdung (4750 m). Overnight in tents.
Day 09: Umdung - Chuntung - besides Tsomoriri Lake ( 8 hrs trek )
After a few minutes the path fords the turbulent Parechu and arrives at Narbu sumdo (4663 m). Here are ruins of an old fort built by Singe Namgyal in 17th century. The first sign of Human life The Drukpas with their Yaks and thousand of sheep & pashmina goats. Here the woollen tents of Changpas are pitched among these grazing grounds. Now you are in the wilderness of Rupshu valley. The trail now quits the Parechu, follows the secondary stream through a grassy area and enters the camping site of Chumiksthal. Further on the trail crosses the Phirtse Phu and passes through a broad valley to reach the site of Chuntung village (4542 m) – only ruined houses now remain on the south bank of Tsomoriri Lake. It’s a vast blue lake some 28 kms long and 8 kms (maximum width) wide surrounded by snow covered peaks. Overnight in tents.
Day 10: Chungtung - Chakardung ( 5 hrs trek )
Today we walk gradually by the lake side enjoying the beauty of landscape and also a chance to view some migratory birds. Overnight in tents at Chakardung (4542 m).
Day 11: Chakaradung - Karzok ( 4 hrs trek )
Enjoy walking by the lake side to arrive at Karzok village (4540 m), a very remote village inhabited by nomads. At the village visit the local monastery and free to explore the village. Overnight in tents.
Day 12: Karzok - Leh ( 221 kms / 10 hrs )
Transfer by jeeps from Karzok village to Leh. End of the trek
(Per Person Cost) : - Rates valid till 30 Sep 2013
||10 pax & above
|Rs 63500 PP
||Rs 56000 PP
||Rs 46500 PP
||Rs 45300 PP
||Rs 41500 PP
- Accommodation in alpine tents while camping (trekking style camping)
- All three meals - breakfast & dinner would be hot and lunches would be packed
- Meals starts with packed lunch on day 01 of trekking till packed lunch on last day of the trek
- Services of an experienced trekking route guide (from 4 pax onwards)
- Cook & attendant during the trekking
- Insulation mats & Sleeping bags
- Kitchen tent fitted with kitchen equipment
- Ponies during trekking to carry baggage, food material, camping equipment
- Entrances to places of visit, camping fee
- All transfers (to the trek starting point & pick up from trek end point by non AC jeeps)
- Presently applicable taxes
- Accommodation would be provided in Moving camp in a moving camp we provide accommodation in alpine tents (trekking tents) and carry all equipment like kitchen tent, dinning tent, cook, kitchen equipment & ration etc on pones or porters (guest would have to carry their own day bags)
- ** Incase of 2 -3 pax, cook would work as route guide and dinning arrangements would be made in kitchen tent only
- Any airfare / Bus fare / train fare or airport tax
- Any hotel in Manali/ Kaza or in Leh
- Any transportation to reach Manali, local sight seeing or departure
- Meals other then mentioned
- Sleeping bags, Trekking Shoes and clothing
- Any kind of insurance, Medical evacuation charges
- Travel insurance, repatriation charges, Damages/ claims of any nature, Expenses of personal nature like telephone calls, Laundry, Any kind of hard or soft drinks, Any kind of personal clothing, Any other expense not mentioned in the cost include column